View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012   #2
texasjack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW_AustinTX View Post
Hi all

I am still a neophyte when it comes to growing and gardening. Last year I grew a chocolate cherry and a sunburst in containers. They were just 3 gallon nursery pots, and although I did get some tomatoes.. I look forward to more this year.

I live in Austin TX. Our season starts earlier then most, but we get the 90F+ heat fairly quick. I have read on other areas of the net, that cherry types are good for our heat, but larger type of tomatoes are not. For those of you who are familiar with growing in intense heat and sun, can you advise me please as to what type of tomatoes would do well in my climate?

I would like to grow about 6-8 varieties. I am open to all tips and hints as to what does well, and look forward to your helpful advice.

***Over a year ago I posted a similar thread/question and received great information. I wish to thank those who answered then, again. This post is for others who may have some input, or for any new recommendations. I mention the previous post because I am most appreciative of the advice given in it, and hope it may help others too who may be new to the forum since that post. Previous post: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20186

Thank You
Dear BW

I'm in Houston amd grow in containers on my balcony. I believe we have similar temp problems plus the addition of the Houston steady high humidity. Growing large, healthy plants is relatively easy....the trick is to get the blossoms to set. See my recent post about my Christmas harvest. My advice for the difficult South Texas conditions are:
1. Use the largest containers that are practical for you. 5 gal per plant minimum. I've accumulated 6 Earth Boxes.....Cornelius Nurseries has a 2 for 1 sale once a year...sign up on their website to be eligible.I plant only 1 bush per container.

2. Select only indeterminate types. You can get a small crop late May/Mid June. Forget the mid summer period, nurse the plants thru the worst then start fertilizing with a 3-1-2, very low doseage given every 3-4 days beginning in mid August. Get your plants in by March 15/April 1 latest.

3.Water,water, water. A big plus for the bottom watering containers like EB's is that you can't overwater. During mid summer each of my plants take 2-21/2 gals per day. People talk about 1" of rain per week, but I have no clue what that equates to in a container.

4. I've had good results with Black Krim, San Marazano, Arkansas Traveller, Kellog Breakfast and Sun Gold cheeries. I like Chef Jeff plants...check their website for retail outlets.

5. Because of the humidity/heat you must do something to improve blossom set. I started using an electric tooth brush this fall with amazing results....nothing fancy, $4.89 at CVS.

6. Grow Media...Forget packaged garden soil, dirt, anything called "Miracle". N/G for containers. You want light, fluffy mix. I've settled on pine bark "fines mixed with vermiculite, shogum moss and packaged composted cow manure....5-1-1-1.

Hope this gets you started

Regards Texas Jack

texasjack is offline   Reply With Quote