View Single Post
Old June 18, 2014   #73
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

I almost gave up too.

It was the flea beetle that turned the young leaves into a pall of lace that nearly drove me to eggplant despair.

But this year I set out healthier, larger, plants than I've ever had and that has been part of the solution. I'm growing Black Beauty and Wiamanola(long skinny black one), I had a little success with the Wiamanola last year in a container.

This year I waited until the weather the days and night s were warm( May 29) I put black plastic down as this also helps deter the FB, and put them under light row cover. I've had next to zero FB though I have had a few small grasshoppers, but so far, their damage seems survivable. I've also set planted a couple in 5gal Sub-Irrigated Planters (SIP buckets) these seem to be growing faster. They aren't covered but are sitting on a pallet somewhat away from the garden in a grassy area. I like the asphalt idea. Last year I almost had success with Diamond, but didn't have any seeds leftover. A variety that I wanted to try this year was Ratna -a round, black variety from India. I bought 17 lbs last year at our FM, roasted, peeled and froze them. I couldn't find seeds this year though. The farmer told me they were very productive.

Next year I want to trial several different varieties. Y'all have given me several good ideas.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote