View Single Post
Old October 11, 2012   #38
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengalrn View Post
Hi guys, I have a few questions. Back when I first joined the forum we had just moved here to KS from KY and I had some real trials trying to get a garden going. Unfortunately, those trials have continued and each year I get so disgusted that I swear I won't garden the following year. So much work for so little harvest. Then the "bug" gets ahold of me again and I try to think of something better or new I can do. I ran across a book by John Jeavons that got me hopeful about this very subject. It was like a lightbulb went on, that maybe all this time I had missed the main point by not focusing my efforts more on my soil.

I intend to AGAIN relocate my garden, this time back down near the house where previous owners had a garden but is now lawn. I'm unsure of the type of grass but could find out from my husband. I know at least some of it spreads by risomes (sp?) or runners. I've had a small garlic bed there that was constantly overrun by that grass so I have a concern that I just can't keep the stuff at bay. I want to try the no till method but not sure how to start.

Redbaron talks about his/her method and it sounds very promising for me but do I need to remove the sod base first to get rid of that grass? We turned it over for the fall last year for the garlic bed but it didn't seem to faze it. Right now we are in drought conditions; the dirt is hard packed and cracked.

Also, it is my understanding that this method is in "beds" vs rows but not the raised beds with formal sides?

Sorry, I know this is quite rambling and I have more questions that I'll think of as I read more in this book and stand outside looking at my hopefully future garden spot.
OK first off "my Redbaron method" is an experimental variation that I am attempting to try on a scalable to commercial trial. Please don't confuse it with the already proven methods developed by Ruth Stout or the Lasagne sheet mulching/composting methods. I don't even know that it will work yet. I BELIEVE it can work and I will try it on a large area of my yard next year, but haven't done it yet. Until I do, be forewarned.

Now if I was doing a garden with the conditions you speak about. I can help with a proven method. It is a lot more work to set up, costs a bit more too, but I can almost guarantee results if you start this fall.

Start with your designated area and find a barrier. It could be boards rocks tiles etc...be creative. Line the entire outside of your new garden area with the barrier after mowing the grass short as possible. ie...make a box. Lay newspaper 6 layers thick or cardboard right on the newly mowed grass. Be sure to overlap the edges of each sheet. Cover the whole thing with mulch. Grass clippings or old hay straw work great. Then buy some soil, compost, manure, worm castings, used mushroom bedding, shredded leaves, sand, fireplace ashes, whatever you think will help your soil and is available in your area. Lay it in on top of the mulch in layers. Think of rich and poor. Sawdust is poor, manure is rich, sand is poor, worm castings are rich. Try to alternate rich and poor about 1-2 inches thick or less. Lightly water each layer just enough to settle it a bit before putting the next layer on. You don't have to fill up the area in your raised bed first year. just one layer each is fine. You'll be adding compost and mulch for years. It will fill up eventually. Last layer put a normal grass clippings or hay mulch 3 inches thick. Going to the bait shop and buying a few worms cant hurt.

Let that settle and decompose all fall winter and early spring and you'll be ready to plant next year.

If you are lazy like me you'll skip all that work and just lay newspapers on the sod and mulch with a thick 6+ inch layer of grass clippings. It will work but not as good the first year. Takes a couple years and you'll be fighting the borders. But it works. I do that myself now. After 5 years in Oklahoma I have managed to turn the worst so called "soil" (really just whatever clay and sand that didn't blow away in the dust bowl) into some pretty good stuff. I didn't even do it in fall. I did it in the spring the day before I planted my first tomatoes. Like I said, I am lazy and a procrastinator! But as that sod dies and rots it does provide food for the plants and channels for their roots that first year.

The "RedBaron" method you can try with me and we will either succeed or fail together. But you'll need chickens. Theory is the chickens will speed the process that first year while providing eggs and/or meat in exchange for weed and insect control. Do you have any?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; October 11, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote