View Single Post
Old June 30, 2007   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is easier than me writing all of this.
I'm lazy and tired.
I hope it clears things up a little.
Here I came back and put in the good stuff.
Harvesting And Storage

Onions are fully mature when their tops have fallen over. After pulling from the ground allow the onion to dry, clip the roots and cut the tops back to one inch. The key to preserving onions and to prevent bruising is to keep them cool, dry and separated. In the refrigerator, wrapped separately in foil, onions can be preserved for as long as a year. The best way to store onions is in a mesh bag or nylon stocking. Place an onion in the bag and tie a knot or put a plastic tie between the onions and continue until the stocking is full. Loop the stocking over a rafter or nail in a cool dry building and when an onion is desired, simply clip off the bottom onion with a pair of scissors or remove the plastic tie. Another suggestion is to spread the onions out on a screen which will allow adequate ventilation, but remember to keep them from touching each other. As a general rule, the sweeter the onion, the higher the water content, and therefore the less shelf life. A more pungent onion will store longer so eat the sweet varieties first and save the more pungent onions for storage.

Worth
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publica.../oniongro.html

Last edited by Worth1; June 30, 2007 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Put in the good stuff.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote