View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012   #1
BW_AustinTX
Tomatovillian™

Default Best type of tomatoes to grow in Central Texas? Advice Please

Hi all

I am still a neophyte when it comes to growing and gardening. Last year I grew a chocolate cherry and a sunburst in containers. They were just 3 gallon nursery pots, and although I did get some tomatoes.. I look forward to more this year.

I live in Austin TX. Our season starts earlier then most, but we get the 90F+ heat fairly quick. I have read on other areas of the net, that cherry types are good for our heat, but larger type of tomatoes are not. For those of you who are familiar with growing in intense heat and sun, can you advise me please as to what type of tomatoes would do well in my climate?

I would like to grow about 6-8 varieties. I am open to all tips and hints as to what does well, and look forward to your helpful advice.

***Over a year ago I posted a similar thread/question and received great information. I wish to thank those who answered then, again. This post is for others who may have some input, or for any new recommendations. I mention the previous post because I am most appreciative of the advice given in it, and hope it may help others too who may be new to the forum since that post. Previous post: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20186

Thank You

Last edited by BW_AustinTX; December 6, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
BW_AustinTX is offline   Reply With Quote