View Single Post
Old August 1, 2019   #659
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Default Taiga update

I should start by saying I have a Taiga in my container garden and 3 more at a friend's place in the garden he lets me share with him. The 3 at my friends consist of 1 that was grown from seed and 2 that are cuttings we poked into the ground around 3 weeks ago. Those cuttings were lower, back branches from the giant Taiga plant on my deck. All are going well.

The one on my deck is in an Earthbox and stands probably 8 feet tall. It has blooms all over and has some that have already started to turn into tomatoes although non is even as big as a ping-pong ball at this juncture but they are on their way so it won't be long. (In the first pic it is the biggest plant in the back on the right. Currently that plant is much higher than the window frame. The second pic is one of its little tomatoes)

The first of the ones at my friend's place is under 2 feet tall but has started to grow tomatoes already, albeit still very small at this point. (In the 3rd pic I had the shorter of my two friends stand next to it to make it look taller, lol! In the 4th pic is one of the tomatoes on it)

The two cuttings have only been in the ground a couple of weeks but are doing great. They will be taking off now that they have established roots. As his garden is hard to keep watered (especially in the recent heat wave) his plants don't get as tall but are all beautifully green and healthy looking. (The final pic is these two guys. Yes they look kind of wilted but that is just Taiga being a heart tomato. As I said to my friend it is likely a survival thing. Afterall, is the rabbit or dear more likely to go for the healthy plant or for the one that looks like it may be diseased?)

So far so good! Lots of sunny summer left. Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190726_092139.jpg (748.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20190726_201952.jpg (186.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 20190731_132327.jpg (746.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20190731_124336.jpg (670.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20190731_125354.jpg (768.1 KB, 89 views)

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote