Thread: cilantro
View Single Post
Old July 19, 2013   #18
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalstonsc View Post
Still learning. Last year grew cilantro to large, beautiful mature plants which survived the winter. Replanted in a new location and not long after getting established it started to go to seed and stopped producing new lush foliage as in the past. Been doing this for couple months or so. Does it ever go back to producing foliage as it did at this time last year, or is all it is capable of doing at this point is to try to make seed?
Hey chalstonsc,

As others have already noted, once the lacy foliage starts growing, the cilantro will go to flower, then seed. Sometimes the seed drops and you'll get cilantro growing again. If I haven't cut the cilantro by the time its flowering, I usually just leave it to attract beneficial insects, and I kind of like how the white flowers look in contrast to whatever other plant I have growing next to it. Also the seeds (also known as coriander) make a VERY fragrant Lemon scent when you grind/crush them, great for adding to roasted vegetables if you haven't tried it. One cilantro plant with seeds on it will give you a lot of seeds for saving. I would recommend at least letting one of your cilantro plants go to flower/seed so you can grow your stock of cilantro/coriander seed for both growing more cilantro, and maybe some seed for seasoning.

On another note, have you ever tried growing the perennial herb "Culantro?" It goes by many names depending on the region, it also goes by the names "Mexican Coriander," "Long Coriander," "Thai Parsley" and "Recao (in puerto rico)." If you like the taste of Cilantro, you just might like the similar but stronger tasting "Culantro." There are many seed companies that sell it, though probably under the name "Long Coriander."

~Alfredo

Last edited by Alfredo; July 19, 2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote