View Single Post
Old January 20, 2017   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillis2252 View Post
Bill,
Thanks for taking the time to post your technique. I have previously grafted citrus and have experienced many of the same issues.
My question pertains to the offspring (fruit) that is produced. Since the parent was grafted, does the fruit retain the qualities of the grafted originals? Hope I worded this correctly. Many Thanks!
Basically you just get the scion with a far more soil born disease resistance or tolerance. The fruit will be the fruit of the scion. The plant may or may not be larger or faster growing and it may or may not produce the same as the scion. The finished product the tomato fruit will genetically be the same as the fruit of the scion that is used in the grafting.

What grafting does for me is it allows me to grow varieties that are too susceptible to the soil born diseases that are a problem in my garden with some certainty that they won't die way too soon from those diseases. Grafting doesn't help with foliage diseases other than the natural resistance a healthy plant might have over a sick one.
If it weren't for the amount of soil born diseases and nematodes in my garden I would not graft. I have to graft to grow the varieties that I prefer.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote