Thread: Mat-Su Express
View Single Post
Old December 5, 2016   #26
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Sherry AK and I have been working on several crosses of great tasting heirlooms with good tasting early varieties to make varieties that work well in northern climates. One of these is called Mat-Su Express, a cross of Brandywine and Bloody Butcher that is now at F6.
I sent a few seeds out at F4 and some F5's will be going around from those seeds known as plant (A). I have also sent out several batches of F6 from plant A - A was a selection in the F3.
Here is the important part of this post. I had a heck of a time finding good selections that were close to as early as the F1. At F4 about 25 percent were very early, F5 was about 50 percent. ALL I ASK is if you plan on passing around seed, please grow a few plants to make sure you get an early selection, taste is pretty stable, just a little variation. We call it Mat-Su Express because they are early. There are plenty of late season types floating around that tastes great, less early ones that taste great. I am growing over a 100 per generation to make good selections for the next generation, and will have it at F8 this next season.
I will send out some plant B (a selection in F3 also) next season, they are called Mat-Su Super B, they yield a lot of very tasty tomatoes

Enjoy, many will really like this strain.
Mark in the frozen north
Mark , got my F5 seeds from Cole Robbie. Thanks Cole. . What's approximate DTM on early ones? Plan on contributing seeds this year if all goes well.wanna make sure I don't save late ripeners.. Thanks again.jimbo.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote