Thread: hybrid seeds
View Single Post
Old June 15, 2009   #9
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

thanks craig that helps me to understand this.

feldon i selected sun gold, jet star and the other 2 just as examples of hybrids i could think of off the top of my head cuz i'm not familiar with hybrid names since i don't grow them. your explanation is very interesting and i like the a+b c+d then abcd example, this made it clear to understand. like i said genetics is a mystery to me!

a few years back there was a link here that showed how the seed companies produce hybrid seeds. it was not as clear to me as craig and feldon explained it. however, kygreg is correct about a lot of labor and feldon about 3rd world.

the pictures were shot in mexico or somewhere in central or south america. there were plastic tubs about 20-25 gallon sized filled with seeds. i gathered from reading at this site that this was a very time consuming process and couldn't be done economically other than in a 3rd world country due to cheap labor due to the extensive time to perform the process. i think the hand pollinating was a very involved process that only certain laborers were qualified to do. it was interesting but did not explain it like craig and feldon have.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote