Thread: Chili
View Single Post
Old November 4, 2009   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I have to admit I like many styles of chili - with or without beans, with or without meat (although many of the veggie versions tend to have beans but not all). I drive my B/F nuts at chili cook-offs when I am willing to try darn near anything, including the veggie versions. LOL

As for beans being a filler. Sometimes if you're making it the dead of a Canuck winter, having the extra carbs from the beans is not a bad thing....more fuel to keep you warm...sticks to your ribs kind of thing. But I realise that it is enough to make natives of TEXAS and parts really south of the other border...lol....cringe beyond belief.

Then again, there is similar discussions about certain middle eastern foods, whether they should include certain ingredients or not. I'm usually open to trying all versions, but may have certain preferences. But I'm not making them for a competition, so don't have to follow any particular rules. I think my Armenian Grandmother and Great Grandmothers would be rolling in their graves to see some of the adaptations I've made to some of their recipes.

I still make it their way too....but I like to experiment too. And that applies to chili too. If that's considered blasphemy to a chili purist, so be it. LOL

Zana

ps who has also managed to touch delicate body parts after preparing hot peppers....sheeeeeeesh. Don't remind me. Once learned the hard way while scarfing down scotch bonnets as a kid on the beach in Jamaica....what can I say....typical kid, no hankie handy, so I picked my nose. Dumb move. My nose ran like a tap for the rest of the day...even while swimming. I laugh now...but it was a pain in the arse at the time. Not to mention my cousins down there still tease me about it over 40 years later!!! Then again, I'm glad it was my nose. My bro had to answer nature's call....'nuff said. He gave a whole new meaning to the "caribbean shuffle" for the next few days. LMAO
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote