View Single Post
Old June 9, 2012   #3
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I went out and search and searched today and found NOTHING. under leaves, on stems, and branches. The only thing I can figure is another type of caterpillar. We have huge problems here with gypsy moth caterpillars, and I had tent worms in my elderberry bush which is only 10' away from the garden. I disposed of the huge cocoon the other day but maybe some escaped (I could see crawlers in the tent) before I got them. The gypsy moth caterpillars destroy the oaks in the area, and I have 9 full size oaks on my property. One tree has it's lowest branch about 30' above that garden. I can't find an answer online, but if a couple of those buggers fell out of the tree (I do see their droppings on a leaf here and there) it may have decided to have a gourmet tomato leaf lunch. I hate gypsy moth caterpillars, some years it is so bad that your car is covered in their droppings and forget it if the rains come, ew. I used to get the trees sprayed many years ago, but now due to the ecological impact on the lake where I live, you cannot, and I would not anyway. They do kill a lot of trees though, and most of the tops of the trees are defoliated.

There has not been any new damage in 2 days, just the few that were initially eaten. so far.