View Single Post
Old October 13, 2019   #24
bower
Tomatovillian™

Bok Choy/ Pak Choi is one we can grow under lights in the winter. We often eat it in salads - especially the stems provide some crunchy bits that we enjoy. Some varieties have a stronger flavor leaf, others are mild. Either way, the greens are super tender under lights so they are at their best for fresh eating.

Here is a very simple recipe for a Chinese style dish:

I cook rice on the side to serve plain with this dish, so usually put that on first.

If meat is going in the dish, prepare it first by chopping small pieces, place them in a bowl and sprinkle with a quarter tsp pepper and a tablespoon of sherry or brandy.

Vegetables: bok choy, carrots, green onions (and/or other favorites) can be chopped in advance.
Prepare cooking sauce:

In a small bowl combine 1 tbsp corn starch or tapioca flour, 1 tbs sugar or honey, 1 tbs sherry or brandy, 1 tbs rice vinegar, 2 tbs soy sauce, plus water - stir to mix.

Put some oil in a large fry pan, and add finely chopped ginger root, grated garlic, and a half tsp of cayenne pepper.

Heat up the pan and quickly saute your meat while stirring. If pork, I also add a dash of sesame oil as it cooks. If using nuts instead (eg cashews) I add sesame oil as well, and saute just for one minute.

In a few minutes, as soon as meat is cooked through, add the chopped vegetables and stir fry for one-two minutes. Pour on the cooking sauce and cook, stirring, until it thickens (about a minute).

Serve over plain rice.

Note: the more 'professional' version of this dish will remove the meat after cooking, cook the veggies separately, and combine the two at the end with the sauce. This is a lot of extra work for a 'bored cook must eat' like myself, and I don't see a big difference in the end result, so I skip the juggling and make it a quicker meal.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote