View Single Post
Old April 6, 2007   #3
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I have had a leek plant out by the compost pile that's survived two winters with temps down into the single digits and no snow cover to speak of. They can be very cold hardy. But I don't know how young plants would do. I don't have mine in the ground yet--had planned on putting them in this weekend, but won't unless it warms up a lot.

We're supposed to get down to 21 F tonight. That will just plain kill a lot of stuff. My strawberries are in blossom--they have two layers of Reemay. (XXX fingers crossed). This might be tough on the peas as well. The radishes and kohlrabi are covered with straw. Hope it works.

And speaking of onions--Copra has always been one of my favorites. This from the Johnny's newsletter:
Quote:
- Copra onion. I've been telling you that the originator of Copra, Bejo Zaden B.V. in the Netherlands would not be producing seeds again. Well, this bummer has transformed itself into joy, because this week an angel from Bejo called us to say that they had decided to keep producing it!
Glad they're continuing to produce seed, but alarmed that they came close to stopping!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote