View Single Post
Old July 5, 2017   #381
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You are all quite welcome.

Bower, I just ate a few Juan Flammee today. I think it is the best orange saladette for fresh eating. Some people say it can be too juicy. Shelf life of the JF is very short though, like a lot of heirloom varieties. The Golden Bullet I'd rate as a very close second in flavor, just about as good, and it will sit on my counter for 3-4 times as long without going bad.

De Barao Orange is another small orange tomato I like. Like Golden Bullet, it also has a history of being a Russian commercial variety. Flavor is not quite as good as the other two, but still better than any hybrid I have had, and the De Barao is the shelf life champion. They refuse to go bad. They'll sit for a month and still look good enough to sell.

That pic of the sliced Golden Bullet reminds me of Sladkij Ponchik, a yellow slicer I like, also former Russian commercial variety. These are all firm tomatoes, which I used to think I didn't like, but they are firm because the fruit have thick walls. There is a lot of juice inside to compensate. So a tomato can be firm and juicy at the same time. I didn't know that until I ran across these Russian varieties.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote