View Single Post
Old August 15, 2008   #10
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Tom, it's very rare that we actually get a chance to see your world as far as the creations you are making in the tomato/potato arena.
Ami,

What you said made me re-think some of what I do. I realize that I am way too close to my work and others barely see a glimpse other than what has been out there for 25 years or so.

I talk and write about these things, and occasionally post a picture (when I remember how) and write a bit on my own blog and forum (small, only 48 members), and I obviously think (unrealistically) that people know and see what I am doing. What you and Tania have illustrated with photos is that I am remiss in getting evidence of my work out to others to see.

So, I suppose I should thank the two of you for an unforeseen extension of my variety work.

That being said, I looked at current work with the female parent (Mountain Roma) that led to the Serenity and Sweet Dreams prototypes.

I just extracted seed of a hybrid plant of [(Mountain Roma X Jubilee) X F-4 (Purple Perfect X Brandy Stripe)]. This fruit is red obviously, but with slight stripes and roma/plum shape. It will segregate for potato leaf, red/yellow, pink/yellow, red, pink or gold, roma or round, large or small fruited, and a host of other traits.

Interesting to note in my pedigree analysis that the roma shape is 13 generations back in the seed saving, or twenty years ago. BTW, the fruit was from a 2" potted plant. Tomatoes that set and produce in such restricted space are excellent candidates for earliness and hardiness. It was from the only one of 6 sibling plants to fruit. I will have to see the field planted plants ripen soon.

I went back on the the number of generations of crossing/selfing and found that Jubilee on one side of the pedigree goes back 29 generations. The total amount of Jubilee is this clone is about 17/64ths Jubilee. And to think I can trace back to its' G-G-G-G-G-G grandmother on one side being Jubilee. A total of 23 parental names in the pedigree.

Those of you fairly new to breeding tomatoes or growing out segregants (selfs) of hybrids are going to have to live a while to catch up with me.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote