View Single Post
Old June 20, 2010   #3
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
...Edited to add I didn't kinow your first name was Dmitry, I guess I havern't sent any seeds to you, so who am I to tell you how to translate from Russian to English.LOL
Thank you for a great morning smile, Carolyn!

And believe it or not, you did send me the seeds, I was the first one You also sent me a list of some of your favorite hearts as well (which I will be growing next year!

Larry - I very nice tomato, I think you will like it! Seems to be very productive so far as well!

Glad that Bull's Heart is doing well in your garden. It usually does not stop producing until the frost. Tends to branch out a lot, and does get to about 9'+ if you let it. Fruit usually get sweeter and sweeter as the season progresses. We've tried few other "Bull's Heart" or "Bychie Serdtze" over the years, but according to my mother, this particular one is resembles what we used to buy back in Russia at farmer's market the closest, if not identical.

There is another one, that was often referred to with the same name, but larger, more blunt with many beefsteak like shapes that were sold on the farmers markets in Georgia (Batumi/Sukhumi areas). I have not been able to find one, until now (hopefully). Marianna's page under pinks list a variety called "Heart Of The Bull" - and those in her photo look exactly as we remember them... Going to try it next year.

Good friend of ours (originally from Georgia) recently went for a visit back home. Needless to say, I asked him to find those and few other grandma/grandpa grown varieties and bring some home. Unfortunately, nothing even close - even to his disappointment, when he visited farmer's markets, most tomatoes were no longer home grown, but instead, imported from Turkey and Iran, farming is going by the waist side (very sad) and it is in fact cheaper to import tomatoes than growing them in their own farms!!!

Happy growing!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote