View Single Post
Old October 11, 2021   #7
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
"Septoria" always catches my eye. Excellent news! I wonder how long it will take to show up in any F1 releases? The Mountaineer series (from Southern Exposure) did very well for me this past summer -- best I've ever seen, but then grown only one season by me.
Hello Greatgardens,

I am afraid that my Mountaineer Delight did not meet my expectations, totally unlike M. Pride. It's true the conditions matter a lot, so I am only speaking for myself. Both of them were exposed to Septoria, Alternaria (I guess) and Phythophthora. MP is still standing high and proud even today, but MD packed it up a month ago. I found no Phyt. affected fruits on MP, but either plant of MD produced one. Neither is fully resistant to Septoria, but MP fights it much better in my garden. And I found the differences in their tastes too small to compensate for vigor and resistance. I'll try them both next year again to see if it was just coincidence.
I really look forward to the first truly Septoria resistant varieties as Sep has been a serious (one of quite a few) problem of mine for years and I can't find a way of getting rid of it. True, it's not as bad a killer as Phyt. but it's bad enough.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote