Thread: Okra Cross
View Single Post
Old August 8, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Okra Cross

I started gardening back in 2010. Okra was one of the things I wanted to grow most. I planted Crimson Spineless and it was okay. In 2011, I planted Emerald Velvet and liked those too. 2012- 2014 featured both in the same garden. In 2012, both grew true with huge healthy plants - planted in two rows 3' from each other - and I saved seeds. In 2013, I started seeing plants not as tall with a few long skinny okra that were too hard to eat and others that tasted good, so I saved seeds from only the good okra and none from the long skinny pods. Well, in 2014, the cross really showed up. Plants half grown at-best, producing okra that was too hard to eat at any stage of growth. There were long skinny okra and some that grew really short but Silver Dollar size around - I didn't save seeds.

I bought okra seeds from a reputable seed company this year - that grew stunted plants and okra that was too hard to eat as soon as they started to grow. I let some grow out and they were huge (Around) and about 4 inches long. I'm thinking they were a cross. I have pods dried and ready to save seeds, but I'm not going to save them because going two years without fresh okra is just too long.

Have any of you experienced okra crosses?

Last edited by AlittleSalt; August 8, 2015 at 10:56 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote