View Single Post
Old June 19, 2016   #51
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
You will need to weigh down to a single gram. Can you make a scale that is accurate from 0-1,000 grams? Maybe 2,000.
I can't function without my little digital scales. I have two and use them all the time. My husband does,too.
I grind my own grains and have an electric grinder which I love. I don't bake all the time but when I do I get into a huge baking kick and bake a lot. I mainly do sourdough whole grains.

Yes I can, anyone can if they have the right equipment, imagination, skill and understanding of how fulcrums, levers and inclined plains work.
An inclined plain being the screw thread on a set of scales to adjust to tenths or even hundredths of a grain or gram.
Then knowing how to apply this understanding to how scales work.
There is no doubt I could make some that could weight down to grains or up to pounds and be very repeatable and accurate.
I could even make the scales air dampened so they would settle down fast and not be susceptible to tiny wind currants in the room.

I also have a very good understanding of how to and a good way to measure powders in volume and be repeatable with it double checked by scales.

I'm not a bakery chef I dont claim to be nor do I want to be.
Nor am I a line cook and feel being compared to one is more or less an insult.

What I did do yesterday was make some pretty darn good bread that I will enjoy, it was made for me to my standards and I can guarantee you I can do it again.

Maybe it wasn't a true ciabatta bread I really dont give a hoot but it was my bread not store bought bread and it is good.
How do I know it was good, because I ate it as I cant stand 99% of most bread.

Yes I will have a set of scales they will be very good scales.
I will either make them for the fun of it or I will buy a set of beam scales.

If I fail at making them I will simply trash the mistakes and start over, it wont be the first time.
Yesterday I threw out a set of cheap spring scales as I hated them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote