View Single Post
Old August 26, 2010   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

There is another thread here somewhere where "Randy G" posted about Bacterial spot and Bacterial speck. There is a difference but right now I'm not sure exactly what it is.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...bacterial+spot

From my personal experiences with Speck on Peppers (hot and bells) I can say that it's most likely that it came from infected seeds. From about 20 years ago it was a big problem on bell peppers. It would defoliate the plants and pock mark the fruit so it was unsellable. At university seminars the speakers highly discouraged using saved seed as that was often the starting point for the disease. That only commercial companies had the expertize to produce clean seed.

At that time I was big into unusual hot peppers that seed was very hard to come by so I DID save and use my own seed. I give all my seed a final bleach water rinse when processing prior to drying the seed. The thing is, for several years my own transplants for the hot peppers, my seed, were always clean. The only Speck I would find ALWAYS started in some of the hybrid bell seed that I bought.

As far as my tomatoes go, I haven't seen Speck on my tomatoes, tho this spring I MAY have had some Spot. I'm not really sure tho. Almost all the early set on my plants had spotting that I thought was Spot tho I saw no edivance elsewhere on the plants. After that first set the the fruit has been clean even tho we didn't spray anything at all. So I'm not sure what was on those first fruits.

If you bleach rinse your seeds when cleaning them, you should be OK.

Carol

Last edited by Wi-sunflower; August 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: found thread
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote