View Single Post
Old July 27, 2008   #5
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input, Greg. Once in awhile I like to dream up little experiments, but rarely try them out.
Yesterday I was wondering how I could help get Big Beef's disease resistance, productivity and plant vigor into the dwarf project. So if it doesn't have knock your socks off taste, it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker, because that could come from the dwarf variety.

Like I said I like to dream things up like this. 48 hours later it could seem like a bad idea. In this case it would take years to stabilize a Big Beef dehybridization, unless someone who's a member of SSE acquired seeds for the already OP Big Beef. It might even be worth it to me to join SSE just to get those seeds if I decide to go forward with this!

So far I've grown 3 varieties of F2 seed, and only one of them looked like a fairly strong plant for a dwarf to me, and that was Wishful. And that one ended up with big BIG dark grey or black blotches on the leaves while the tomatoes were ripening. I found out today though that it must have been a fungus rather than a disease.

Anyway, more pondering to do....

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote