Thread: Main Dishes
View Single Post
Old March 1, 2006   #4
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Don't be fooled by the title-it's got tomatoes in it! This pie is wonderful--I take it to a lot of clubs and potlucks and someone ALWAYS want the recipe. It is not light and fluffy but more substantial. Lots of sauteed onions with basil and toms. What more would you want.

Savory Cheese and Onion Pie
(from THE VEGETARIAN EPICURE by Anna Thomas)

- Basic Pastry for one 10 inch pie (I use Pillsbury Ready-made in refrigerator section)
- 10 oz. cheese : half Swiss and half Switzerland Gruyere, or in proportion desired (you can use all Swiss too)
- 2 Tbls flour
- 2 large onions (I use big, sweet ones)
- 4 Tbls butter
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil (I use a lot more, maybe 1-2 Tbls)
- 2 large firm tomatoes, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup cream

Put pie crust in pie dish. Grate cheese and toss with flour. Melt butter in a large skillet. Slice onions and saute very gently in butter until they begin to turn golden, about 1/2 hour. Spread about 1/3 of the cheese over crust; spread onions over cheese.

In butter that is left in the pan, heat tomato slices with chopped basil for a minute or two. Arrange tomato slices over the onion , then cover with remaining cheese.

Beat eggs with cream and pour over cheese. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on top. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until top browns nicely. Serve hot.

Serves 6

****the only thing else I do is lightly salt the onions and toms- almost to taste. Not too much though.
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote