Thread: Harvest
View Single Post
Old March 9, 2008   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I always have big plans, but when the time comes due, I so resent the time spent in the house peeling and chopping and washing jars and standing over a hot stove when I could be enjoying the last weeks outdoors in our all-too-short summer and fall. So I end up freezing most of what I store. I have a dryer, but only use it every other (or third) year -- which is about how long my dried stuff lasts.

As far as Annie's canned salsa recipe, mine always tasted over-processed as well. And I don't like the idea of purchasing canned sauce to add to it. Sort of defeats the purpose of doing your own from scratch. Last year I roasted a big pan of whole tomatoes, hot peppers, coarsely chopped onions, garlic, cilantro etc -- everything you need for salsa, drizzled with olive oil. After roasting, I carefully drained off the clear spicey liquid and froze it for soup fixings. The solids got all mushed together (using disposable latex/vinyl gloves), picking out the tomato and peppers skins. This made the best cooked salsa I have made, nice and chunky, and froze well.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote