View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, your Indian Stripe PL has remained stable for me and the folks who got it from my seed offer as noted in the Fall performance thread I put up as well as well as for you. But I called it Indian Stripe PL and did not change the name, which I don't approve of since when an original RL goes to PL, there's more than one way that that can happen.

If it's a single spontaneous mutation then yes, RL to PL is usually stable, but the mutation of the DNA can also involve repeats, inversions, and looping out in which case MORE than one gene can be involved, and when that happens other traits of the PL can also change.

I think a good example of that is with at least two of the three Cherokee Purple PL's, the original being RL. I was up late, got up late andI think there's a third one I'm forgetting right now.

There's Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf, found by Jere Gettle and Spudakee, found by Bill Malin.

When folks grow out those two and the RL version in the same season, some will say they're identical and some will say that they detect differences.

IMO one should not change the name of an original RL version that turns out to be PL until and unless time shows that the two are identical and probably due to a single spontaneous mutation.

Martha, gardenmama here at Tville, found the PL version of Kellogs Breakfast many years ago now, 2002, see the link below and she called it KBX and from the link below it says aka Kellogg's Breakfast Potato Leaf but speaking just for myself I don't think I've seen anyone who uses anything other than KBX.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/KBX

I suppose others of you can give other examples of some RL varieties that went to PL but I still feel that one should not assume that a PL version of a variety is the same as the original RL version b/c of the ways that the RL to PL can occur.

Bill, your description of your new IS sounds interesting and sounds like a cross if it's THAT different from IS, and do share what it looks like to you now, but heaven's not in this thread please.

Carolyn