View Single Post
Old July 29, 2019   #47
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

July 19th - 28th, 2019

Headed to OC MD for a week vacation, I had a few people harvesting the garden while I was gone.
Picked one last crop for vacation.

When we got home Saturday, I was all set to unpack and tend to the garden, however, there was an issue when I got home, apparently the fridge was off (circuit breaker tripped) and all the food went bad, I buy a lot of bulk meats and slice myself and had just picked up a bunch of meat from restaurant depot to slice some meats for our vacation.

After a few hours cleaning the refrigerator I tended to the garden a bit, but just to pick tomatoes, I wasn't in a very "happy gardening" mood. I did harvest the okra because most pods were past being edible, if the okra is about 3-4" and snaps off easily, I will use them.

It's amazing how much stuff can grow when your not watching it, lol

Lots of rain in Philly this past week, I had a few tomatoes split, one of my friends stopped by Thursday and picked 15 or so tomatoes, then Friday another buddy stopped by and picked another 15+ and texted me and said there were tomatoes everywhere, he picked a few for the neighbor also.

After the Saturday harvest I decided I will be making sauce again this year, I originally wasn't going to make sauce because my family prefers the taste of the store bought over my sauce which was very acidic/tart last batch.

I plan on changing up my recipe and method this year to see if I can cut the acid taste a bit.

I started picking out the damaged and very ripe tomatoes then cored, halved them then froze in batches. Since my freezer is completely empty, I have the room to freeze quite a bit of tomatoes.

Roasted Poblano, tomato, egg and cheese club sandwich for breakfast

Another garden breakfast

Turkey, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and cheese, clubs for dinner.

Grill cheese with tomato and fried eggplant.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote