View Single Post
Old December 19, 2017   #283
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I've got some really good Mac knives that I bought on Ebay. Several of them were chipped and most needed serious work on the cutting edge. I started with a grinder to remove the damaged areas, then used a fine stone to cut a smooth surface, and followed up with a set of diamond sharpeners to set the new edge. It was worth the effort!

Why do so few teach their kids how to sharpen tools properly? I've seen absolute messes made of axes, screwdrivers, planer blades, chisels, and wood lathe tools.
Several reasons.
You are my age, or is it I am your age.
1 We are pretty much that last of a generation of any amount that even knows how.
2 The more people that moves to cities and away from farms the less use the general population has for doing these things.
3 Lazy and no interest, it is dull, get a machine to do it or buy a new one.
4 People far older than us dont know how because they were raised in the cities.
5 They dont know how to so they can teach their kids.
6 Their kids cant carry a knife to school like we did, I find very few people in their 30's that can understand why I carry a knife much less two knives.
7 By not being allowed to carry a knife they start assuming it is only for bad things like hurting people.
8 I take that back they are taught it is only for hurting people.
9 You might hurt yourself, better to get a professional to sharpen it.
10 In the old days everybody had a knife or a hatchet including women and children not so anymore.
They also knew how to start a fire without matches because they didn't have any.
When I was 10 years old I carried a 12 inch bladed hand made knife at home in the woods on my belt it was as long as my leg and as sharp as a razor.
I carried my trusty 28 gauge shotgun I still have to this day.
Times have changed I haven't.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote