Thread: Garden Dangers
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012   #65
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link but I don't think any of those it what I am looking for. Eggs maybe if I was sure they where fresh and collect properly but that's more than I paid for my pea chicks.

I have had a total of 4 peacocks since I have lived here. My first one was in a pen right outside my bedroom. He was a male but he hardly ever made any noise. He was old when I got him. He had the big long train that you only see in old peacocks. He was flighty and scarred of his own shadow. I think that is cause from his breeding. Java Green that is not cold hardy and stay wild. I sold him because he was a idiot.

My next two I bought at the auction two years ago. They were just pea chicks at the time. I was the only bidder and got them for $12. They were raised inside and bonded to me. They where also a pair but most likely bother and sister. I also had my neighbor tell me my peacock was in his yard. I looked and this old peacock was trying to get into my yard from his yard. Was not my peacock but I brought him home. He must have heard our peacocks and was attacked to them. We don't have many neighbors so I don't know where he came from. I found him dead right below where he slept at night just shortly after we got him. There was not a mark on him. Our male was on our roof. I went to water everyone. He flew down a I think he tumbled and broke his neck. He was only two. He did not have a long train yet. That takes about 3-4 years. But he was so friendly. I think that is because of how I raised him. I would love to find pea chicks again.

My pea hen is not what I consider noisy. But when she has made noise, if made my bird friendly border collie grab hold of her one time. I don't know what she was thinking.

My guineas are related to peacocks. Now these guys are noisy. I think the noise alone would chase snakes away. I have read they can breed pea guinea hybrids, but it is rare.
CinnamintStick is offline   Reply With Quote