View Single Post
Old December 5, 2012   #45
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

And here is a very interesting story about Pavel Saraev methods from another breeder (Mr.Golubev from Russian town Saratov) who has spent some time working together with Pavel (Yakovlevich = his middle Russian name after father Yakov) Saraev (a machine translation as well )
About this man (Golubev) experience
He studied in Russia (at USSR times) at the Michurinsk agricultural college, he worked under the guidance of renowned breeder pome crops - Kondratieva Galina, then studied at agricultural Institute. Vavilov, majoring in plant breeding and seed, which organized the laboratory on biotechnology. He worked with the breeder - mutagenschikom on sorghum - Kostya Galina Ivanovna. Of the seven proposals in graduate school, chose a laboratory cell selection in SRI CX Southeast. Graduate interrupted service in the ranks of our glorious army. In this focus on detail, because it is interesting and you tune your work.

Within a month of my service as a local breeder - Saraev Pavel Yakovlevich, reported that there was a part of the graduate student. After a conversation with me, he realized that his best mate is not found in explaining the results of his many experiments of cold tolerance of cucumbers and tomatoes.

And because it was on a part-time service of the parts for mutual benefit - it helps to provide some fresh vegetables, and he was a little pay extra for retirement and assisted labor, if required.

After six months of service in the unit, he pulled me to the farm. In my duty was to obtain high yields of cucumbers and tomatoes from 9-00 to 21-00, and in the evenings - a theoretical basis of his experiments.

For his 80 years of life, Pavel Yakovlevich found how to work with the samples in order to increase their resistance to frost. The result was stunning results. It's no joke to a tropical vine, which is a cucumber, withstand frost -9 ° C, and the subtropical (tomato), endured without damage for 5 hours - 12 ° C. If I do not stand on boxes of seedlings so cold, hardly anyone believed. Read along and across all its records of experiments, in anticipation of any trick, but everything was perfect, the facts are stubborn thing.

Initially, he found one plant (tomato) surviving after the autumn frost on an area of 3 hectares and began to work with him, noticing the slightest changes in the stability and selecting more pliable samples. As substantial cold tolerance he has accomplished in 10 years, the annual, multiple (5-7) in sublethal freezing conditions at all stages of plant development. Vybrakovyvaya stubborn samples and leaving progressive. Good stability in seed progeny inherited, but only if the parent plants were freezing, even if small (even without culling unstable). Otherwise, the stability of the offspring began to fall to the third generation, only 33% of the plants withstand freezing at these temperatures.

I had to work hard to explain this phenomenon. After all, say, an elderly man in the sunset of his life, that his experiments, it is pure Lysenkoism, like feeding cows chocolate and not worth half a century of his life to spend on it, I certainly could not. We had to find the molecular mechanisms that might allow such an increase in resistance. I had to rummage all local libraries, all bookstores, ask my mother to send me out of the house the necessary books (9 parcels), take a trip to Orenburg Institute of Vegetable Farming and think within 7-8 months. In one of the new books purchased for carcinogenesis, found the line, which said long succession modifications of DNA nucleotides lens. It was this thread, which I unwrapped the whole ball.

In the scientific literature there is a holistic understanding of the big picture of long-term modifications and their patterns of inheritance, but some things can be noted.

Basic properties of DNA modifications that may cause long-term modifications:

1. The more modified nucleotides in which any segment of DNA, the harder it is to read information from the site, it is a modification of nucleotides is one of the mechanisms: regulation of gene activity.

2. When you activate the genes regulated in this way, there is a modification of the cleavage of one of the strands of DNA.

3. Modified picture of DNA is inherited.

4. With the passage of sex (stem) cells through meiosis, a complete picture of modifications restored.

5. Micro-mutations change in the pattern of DNA modifications are inherited for generations, but as the predisposition to certain modifications of DNA preserved in a few generations picture modifications restored. Inheritance for generations change in the pattern of DNA modification called continuous modification and is not considered a true mutation, but increases the chance of its occurrence.

6. Very frequent on gene-modified nucleotides of DNA can lead to loss of data modifications and even replacement of nucleotides, which facilitates the expression (activation) of these genes, or makes them constitutive (always work).

7. Genes unclaimed for several generations can grow into a large number of modifications and become silent. Converse is also true, that silent genes, with frequent access them, and can gradually become active.

Thus, long-term, repeated freezing yielding genotypes, Saraev waked up the silent genes frost even in the tropical liana.

It is possible that some of the forms you selected with increased resistance to frost, have a lasting modification, although I am more inclined to believe that in your case, most likely, is a biochemical adaptation. Namely, under the influence of rootstock, scion biorhythms change towards more relevant climatic conditions. This restores the genetic potential of varieties, disturbed by transferring it to a different climate zone. Grade begins to end the growth processes before full flow processes of preparing for winter (lignification of tissues, their suberinizatsiya, accumulation of reserve fat and growth inhibitors), which can significantly increase its frost and winter hardiness. These processes are more likely with no intervention strategy. What specific processes occur in your selected forms, can be found only after a thorough biochemical and genetic testing, comparing the initial variety and the resulting "clone."

Returning to his home lab, I set out to develop, based on the architecture of the hypothesis I resilience through long modification, his - the mutation method.

Organized groups biology of stress in the first place to test the degree of stress gene expression in stable and unstable Sarajevo tomatoes. It was found that unstable line, stress genes are activated only after hardening, and stable lines, these genes are active initially. This confirmed my hypothesis about the change in the activity of genes in the stress from exposure to low-temperature stress as mutagens for long versions.

Further, it took 5 years of various experiments to find suitable conditions, substance, consistency and concentration effects, to quickly get a true mutations in stress response, increasing resistance to frost.

The result is a technique by which you can get for half a year with the always-on plant stress genes, ready at any time to protect against stress.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; December 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote