View Single Post
Old August 14, 2018   #4
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I'm looking at your pictures, and trying to visualize the problem from your narrative and I cannot see how the cover is too short. It looks from the pictures that you have excess cover for the height. As for the shortness on the width and length, perhaps you can stretch it when it is nice and hot. I know doing that kind of work in the heat is a killer, but maybe that's what needs to be done.
Thanks so much for responding. I know what you mean about it looking too long, but the cover is supposed to be able to be able to drape down along the ground on the side, ideally to be buried for extra wind protection. I will try to add some more pictures further down in this post from the ad to show what I mean. I thought also that the heat might help to stretch the plastic, but when I tried, the seams started tearing. It was as hot as I can medically tolerate that day.

Thanks, ColeRobbie; I will definitely find or make some snap clamps, and use duct tape as the back up. I know it won't last forever, but I don't expect the plastic cover to make it through an entire Texas summer anyway. I imagine if I haven't totally replaced it by then, I will be patching it up by this time next year. I have seen duct tape out in the sun last years, but it wasn't under any tension. That is probably the key to making it last any length of time, no tension. I definitely had it on tight. What exactly is a tek screw?

Best thing I have figured to do is to split the cover into three parts: front, top and sides, and back. I would separate the sections, leaving the sides on the frame, and lengthen each side(front to back) the required amount using duct tape as the material. Then use the snap clamps to hold the top and side section securely to the frame. Then I will zip the front zipper door, and enlarge the front section, also using "duct tape fabric", attaching the section to the frame with snap clips, alternating positions with the snap clips securing the side sections to the frame, and reinforcing and smoothing out with duct tape. I will do the back section in the same manner as the front section. Then I will evaluate the overall length to see if anything else needs to be done. Does this seem reasonable? Likely to be successful? Any other tips would really be appreciated! I really like the idea of a tall baseboard, I will be thinking on that, trying to figure out how to work that in. Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 (1).jpg (159.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 4 (2).jpg (308.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 2 (1).jpg (153.7 KB, 139 views)