View Single Post
Old March 7, 2013   #15
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Tom, I've never taken note of the May full moon and the weather. I'll have to keep any eye on it this year as that's the month when I do a lot of planting out.

I have a neighbor who swears by the moon cycles for planting his garden, but then he's retired and doesn't have the problem of trying to fit the planting schedule in around a full time job! I set out last year to give it a try, but between my work hours and the weather, it was just impossible. I don't know if it would make for a better season if I followed it, but I do avoid looking at it so I don't stress out over the fact that I've sown seeds during barren times!
i'm retired too so time is not an issue, i can do whatever whenever.

my take on this is before everyone had calendars at home and maybe just saw them at the general store they used the moon to track time. i have planted root crops and above ground crops at the "right" and "wrong" times over the years and i never really see any difference. things have almost always done well so i don't see any use to planting by the moon. there are enough variations in weather that it would be hard to really say unless i purposely planted the same crop to monitor them and i don't have the space to waste or frankly the desire to test it.

that may full moon thing really is something to watch. i picked up on this several years ago when we had snow on may 10th (kinda late tho last frost date is 5/31 here) and started to see a pattern. i always hope for a full moon in the 1st half of may. one year it was late around memorial day and i was worried about what might happen as they were calling for really cold weather and it coincided with the full moon by a day or two before or after the full moon.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote