View Single Post
Old June 12, 2013   #41
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
ddsack, my Stupice was the same as described - really vigorous, freely suckering, bushy and healthy (and loaded with fruit from top to bottom) and would easily have grown to 8 ft or more if I didn't top it. If you want to try my seeds, PM and I'll send you some to compare. Maybe it just performs differently on different soils, but they do say Moravsky Div is a strain of Stupice, and it was quite different, suckering much more slowly and sparely and growing more slowly overall (but still loaded with fruit).
I'm also glad to provide saved seed from my [Franken]Stupice. People on here have been very generous with me and I'm glad to pay it forward. I certainly have no special growing ability, tending more towards black thumb than green thumb. In terms of cultivation my raised beds are 50% municipal compost (primarily leaves) and 50% store bought veg garden soil. My soil analysis from last fall found the soil to be very high in just about everything, so perhaps the very high N accounts for the excessive vegetative growth? I throw in some tomato tone when I plant them and if I remember they get some more scratched into the surface around fruiting. I have a drop irrigation hose laid that I turn on whenever it seems really hot, the ground really dry, and I remember to do so.

If someone has a stumpy 4' version of stupice and they want to swap seeds with me and both do a comparison grow out next year to see if it is environmental or genetic, I'd be game.
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote