View Single Post
Old December 18, 2015   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I made my hoop house 6.5 feet high and I am re-doing it now because it is annoying to have to crouch near the sides. I am now making it 8.5 feet which will allow me to put my plants all the way against the sides without the curve of the hoops interfering or having to crouch. My advice, if you can make it taller w/o much trouble, do it. I dont get much bad weather here but I made mine strong enough to make it through anything. I need to take some pics and post a little how to guide but time is short and many other things to do.

In short the first and last hoop are 1 inch PVC for the rest I used 20ft sections of rebar covered with black plastic water pipe as my hoops. Drove 5ft sections of 1' conduit 2 ft into the ground leaving 3ft for a hip board to attach to. The conduit was secured further at my base 2x6's with metal U-clamps. The hoops slide 12 inches into the conduit. I used 1/2 inch conduit as ridge poles and also 3ft down from center on each side, secured with metal hose clamps and zip ties. I had to make the first and last hoop PVC so I would have something to attach the end walls to.

After doing all this i think i probably should have just used 1 inch PVC for the whole thing but hindsight is 20/20. Good luck!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote