View Single Post
Old June 21, 2018   #362
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
YES, how could I forget? I hope the ones pictured, at least one, preferably the fasciated one, is Colgar 100.

The problem getting big MF's is most crosses would involve a small fruited variety, and small fruit is dominant. But I think zipcode is thinking megabloom = King flowers. I'll have to see if I am growing anything with the f gene... I remember about 10 years ago growing Early Santa Clara, which either preceded Santa Clara Canner, or was SCC with the f gene. I just checked SCC/ESC and:

ESC = Cultivar probably originated in Italy, since 1890. Large, indeterminate plant, fruit very large, oblate, multiloculed, soft. Improvements by Canners League, UCD, Ferry Morse Seed Co. 3/2006: accession seg.s for anthocyanin deficiency.
"f" is a recessive gene, there were 15 accessions last time I checked, HOWEVER, there is also a version with a DOMINANT allele!

"Fruits many-loculed; phenotype more extreme than original allele of f; carpels unfused; dominant allele."
It showed up in at least a Guatamalan variety.

My money is on Riestomate!
Mark, I've done way too much Googling, etc.,this afternoon to try and clarify some issues,and glad I did since I remembered that Paco would send me the seeds and then followup with an e-mail describing them,which I also found.

I found only TWO multifloras amongst his Colgar ones

100 en Pm, de la Ribera, multiflora, very good taste, big nipple, de colgar. NO this is NOT the original one called just Ribera.

Colgar en Pom (ll-51),multiflora.

I have seeds for both of the above,I think 2016 seeds,If you want them PM me with your home address since I know I have it in my data book but don't want to spend time looking for it.

Now onto Santa Clara Canner which is going to be more difficult since I had to save the links to my faves,and transferring from there can sometimes be a problem

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1449

https://store.tomatofest.com/Santa_C..._p/tf-0445.htm

Someone in CA sent me the original one he got from Gary Ibsen all those years,yes I grew it,no way I have seeds anywhere but at least this last link clarifies for you the difference between the original SCC and modifications made to it.Which was your question.

Carolyn