View Single Post
Old August 22, 2018   #71
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

First off let me say I sold everything in about 3 weeks to my main buyer. They have a 400 member CSA and 2 retail stores. When I made my last delivery at the end of July, he called me about 10 days later to ask if I changed my mind about selling off some of the seed stock I was saving for this year. I had to decline so I can expand this year.
I also supply a mom and pop produce stand about 3 miles from me. They move about 10lbs every 10-14 days. I move my smaller bulbs (1.5" and slightly bigger) to them for .50 each (usually 12 bulbs per pound, so $6/lb), so it works good for both of us. She says her customers ask for it starting in June based on what they bought from last year when I supplied them.
As far as I would guess, based on the sales, everyone is really liking the garlic. My mom and a good friend, who are both avid home chefs, say it is the best. Probably some bias, but they are pretty straight shooters.
As far as varieties, I think as long as the product has purple streaks in it (and it tastes "really good"), the public equates that with it being different and special. Gourmet chefs are not the ultimate buyer, so I'd rather sell a variety with lots of purple vs a solid white so that it looks different than the all white softnecks they see in the store.
I am saving about 100 lbs of Music, 140 lbs German Extra Hardy, and 25 lbs of Romanian Red.
I bought 60 lbs of Chesnok Red for $13/lb to try something new that is not a Porcelain type.
When you get beyond niche or hobby level, in my opinion, giving the wholesale customer too many choices is counterproductive. Pick the small handfull that works best, and move volume. It would be a hassle for them to have to make space for multiple retail boxes and manage inventory for each type.
Eventually I will probably evaluate the 4 that I am growing and eliminate 1 to simplify the seed saving aspect.
Production-wise, I intend on planting 3 caterpillar tunnels (14'x100'), one each of Music, German, and Chesnok. The rest will go in the field.
I am gonna do 4- three foot wide beds in the tunnels. 3 rows per bed, so there will be about 1,600 plants in each tunnel.
Outdoors I grow in 3' wide beds that are 200' long, so each tunnel would be like me adding 2 beds outside.
Last year, I had 8 beds outside at 200' long.
This year it will probably be 10. So adding the 3 tunnels is like adding 6 new 200' beds outside.
So in total, I'm going from 8- 200' beds this year to about 16 beds next year. My hope is to harvest 1,300 lbs, save 3-400lbs of seed stock, and sell about 1,000 lbs.
I am also keeping a back burner thought of selling online in the future (not next year). I don't want to jump too fast into too many new learning curves, and an online effort is a whole nother can of worms.

Last edited by PureHarvest; August 22, 2018 at 08:43 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote