View Single Post
Old June 30, 2013   #21
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Robin, that is really a neat trick with the WOW!

I understand how they protect from the heat of the day, but don't they soak up heat during the day and release it to the plants at night? It seems like they would kind of even out the extreme temps of the the day and night. (Making it several degrees cooler in the heat and several degrees warmer in the night.) I'm just wondering because everything says that those cool night temps are so critical to fruit set.

Maybe the shade of the leaves and the white color of the WOW helps shade and reflect the sun's light so the the water doesn't really absorb that much of the heat.

If that's the case, I wonder if a slightly reflective material wouldn't keep it even cooler? (As long as it didn't reflect enough sun onto the bottom of the plant to scald it.) That wouldn't work as well for warming them up in early Spring, but it might be better for the Summer.

I wonder if you tried wrapping a few with a reflective surface, (maybe even something as simple as thin tin foil, (with the duller side up) if that would make any difference?

Or is that just crazy?
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote