View Single Post
Old May 22, 2016   #29
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWill View Post
Hi, your "Iraqi" eggplant looks like my Aswad Iraqi variety from Baker Rare seeds. Is it the same or have you a different variety. I have had great success with Aswad here in the AZ desert. Maybe because our climate is the same as Iraq - very hot and dry. I protected last year's plants from the little frost we had in November and now I am getting a great harvest from the new growth. Some of the fruit are quite green as opposed to the deep purple last year. Any ideas?
I've had the purple eggplants be green in the heat of AZ during summer, although I grew them against a brick wall so it got really hot.
I had one eggplant and some peppers live 5 years outdoors and we're going strong when we moved.
I made some salt fermented pickles that were delicious one summer. Eggplant dries well,too.
It's a nice meat substitute because it has a texture sort of like a portobellos or even tofu. It's pretty flavor neutral,picks up the flavors of your sauce and spices really nicely and can be cubed,sliced,puréed.

Last edited by Tracydr; May 22, 2016 at 04:22 AM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote