View Single Post
Old July 21, 2013   #8
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Shelleybean, I was reading about sweet potatoes on Southern Exposure's website and they indicate interest in white sweet potatoes is very regional (with the Southeast U.S. having the most interest in them). It sounds like a white sweet potato is preferred to an Irish potato in the Southeast. I guess that is why I have a hard time thinking about white sweet potatoes. I definitely plan on giving them a try. There was a time when I never would have considered eating Kale, and now it is one of my favorite vegetables. Southern Exposure raves about O' Henry (a white sweet potato).

DuckCreekFarms, you have a nice selection of sweet potato slips in your catalog. There more searches I do on purple fleshed sweet potatoes, I realize people don't seem as excited about them as they do the orange and white sweet potatoes. Maybe I will wait and see if any of your new lines improve the flavor of the purples. I did see Molokai, and based on Internet searches, it appears to have one of the highest levels of interest among the purple sweet potatoes.

I agree, it is difficult to select an orange fleshed sweet potato. There are so many to choose from. I definitely plan on trying Bradshaw (Fusion power's recommendation). Your catalog also speaks highly of this variety. I am also thinking about Ginseng Orange. Both Southern Exposure and your catalog indicate it is one of the most productive orange fleshed you grow. And finally, the New Jersey Red sounds good also. I might try and squeeze a few slips of those in my garden as well.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote