View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012   #52
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I think split resistance is almost as important as disease resistance. I don't know if the trait is linked in any way to any of the traits you listed. I also don't worry too much about it myself. A knife easily trims the "scab" of a split area off before eating. But I have noticed that outside of people really into tomatoes, that is the primary "off putting" thing about heirlooms or otherwise great tomatoes.

Also there is a gene in fruit I read about. It is a specific gene for green shoulders. Increases the sugar and nutrient balance in the fruit many times over. (sorry I forget the name of the gene)

That I think would be useful in making sure the fruit are as frost resistant as the plants. It also is helpful in maintaining flavor late in the fall.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote