View Single Post
Old November 5, 2019   #11
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I'm looking to discover more peppers (hot and sweet) with thin walls (such that they dry quickly). I haven't found a terrible lot of them, actually, but I've grown a fair number of peppers. These are the ones with thin wqlls I've grown that come to mind:
* Aji Habanero (C. baccatum—not to be confused with Habaneros, which are C. chinense)
* Ring of Fire (Baker Creek's version)
* Orange Carbonero (not super thin, but they dry on the plant)

Ideally, they should be thin enough that they'll dry on the plant in a semi-arid area if you let them. Note that Ring of Fire doesn't seem to do this, but it dries quickly post-harvest.

Ideally, the peppers won't be huge (but they will be prolific). Huge peppers take longer to dry, in my experience. Ideally, they'll have lots of flavor.

For baccatum suggestions I'd consider Aji Lemon or Aji Pineapple, pretty much the same in my garden, the pineapple being slightly larger peppers. Both very thin walled. Criolla Sella would be another baccatum to consider. Carbonero definitely has thinner walls because of its Bhut (ghost pepper) genetics. A lot of peppers with Bhut or Bih Jolokia in them will be thinner walled, so many to choose from. I've got seeds for a cross of Bih Jolokia and Sugar Rush Peach that has fairly thin walled peppers as well. Paper Lantern Habanero would be another C. Chinense with thin walls and is red.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote