View Single Post
Old September 8, 2022   #41
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I would recommend minimal pruning outdoors with my hearts. They are wispy and the fruit benefit from what leaf cover they have. I don’t prune mine at all and Fred finds best to plant them close and not prune either in hot California.
KarenO
I don't ever prune unless forced to. We had horrid conditions here this season - started out far too humid and warm and suffered from a lack of bees. Then we had heat, multiple heat waves, and then drought. We are in a severe drought and being on a well, I've cut back, slowly to not shock them as much. I never water my lawn as it's far too large and a big waste of water - I work on mowing high and growing deep roots in good soil - have never once had a dormant lawn in 22 years living here but my entire lawn went dormant - looked like the desert sand where my dad lives. Saddest looking tomatoes I have ever grown in my garden but feel blessed to have at least a small crop. At one point, I didn't have hope I'd get any.

I don't think Polaris was a fan of the humidity, and it might not have liked the heat very much but it dealt with it begrudgingly, but it didn't seem as fizzed as some with the dryness.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote