View Single Post
Old September 1, 2012   #2
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

As far as I can tell, citrus large and small are inherently susceptible to spider mites. I get them on my Rangpur lime just about every winter. They can be controlled, however - I use a VERY dilute detergent spray as soon as I see them (which you can also use on the peppers, I think). The other thing which will reduce the mite problem is to keep the air around the plants more humid. Mites don't seem to multiply nearly as well when the humidity is high in the immediate vicinity, so it will probably help to set your plants on a pebble tray and keep the tray watered almost to the top of the pebbles.
By the way, unless the citrus you mention are grafted to a dwarf understock, they will not stay dwarf. However, it's possible, by careful and timely pruning, to keep indoor citrus a manageable size. I cut mine back before I move it back indoors for the winter, and then pinch it again when it starts pushing new growth and buds in early winter. I still get enough buds for fragrance and fruit, and that way, it's still (barely) possible to move my 20-yr-old tree in and out.
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote