View Single Post
Old August 31, 2017   #28
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Thinking about the beta linkage... Last year I grew six F3 plants of a heart or paste shaped selection - from an F2 that was Beta/- (orange-red) and indeterminate. I expected to get 1/4 (roughly!) that was Beta/Beta and determinate because of the linkage (Zolotoe Serdtse parent line), but instead I had more Beta/- indeterminates again and no determinates at all in the six.

You made that great post about odds awhile ago, do you think you could up the ante just by growing more plants from your F2 or F3? I thought the result was 'unlucky' for me but it's not out of the question with half dozen plants.
1) You've given me an interesting idea (more later) Thanks!
2) I started playing with some Punnett squares, assuming there is no breakage (Beta and self-pruning are very close on the chromosome). I run into problems with the existing F1's crossed together, I would get 3/4 orange-red and 1/4 red, but only 1/3 of the orange-reds have the indeterminate high beta with the modifier gene present but hidden. Think I'll still do it, but I'll have to grow out a good amount of progency of the 2nd generation to find what I'm looking for.
3) This is the 'good' idea you've given me. I'm going to cross my two beta varieties, and select for indeterminate + Modifier (3/16) Only then will I cross the resulting tomato with pastes.
4) The other crosses I talked about (F1 X high beta) I may yet pursue but I'll need to analyze the potentials with more Punnett squares)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I also like your strategy of crossing unstable generations, and of crossing sp/Beta with indeterminate Beta, where both conditions are linked, what will happen? Would be nice to see the result of some larger numbers in that cross.
I'm going to probably do that as well (I also saved seed from the same F1 cross, but a different plant, so I can see if get a different result.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote