View Single Post
Old July 21, 2016   #53
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
After fermenting seed and cleaning them I do put my seed in a bleach water mix for a minute or so before rinsing them and drying them. I don't know if this is why I haven't had any seed caused fusarium on my grafted plants. I just assumed that if the scion had fusarium it would still exist on the grafted plant with the resistant rootstock. I assumed the rootstock only protected the grafted plant from the introduction of fusarium through the roots. I did get a few cases of fusarium late in the season on a couple where roots developed on the stem above the graft and went down into the soil. That only occurred where the mulch was thin or nonexistent under the stem lying on the ground. This is one of the reasons besides keeping the fruit from touching the soil that I put down a heavy layer of cypress mulch in my tomato beds. I sometimes have stems lying on the ground from late May through November because of the way I lower my plants as they grow.

I never save seed from plants infected with TSWV because I know how deadly that stuff is and that it is viral. What other infections can be transmitted inside the seed Carolyn?

Bill
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...Treatment.html

Bill, scroll down to table 2 to see the list of diseases that can be seed borne.

What it doesn't show there is which ones are on the seed coat and which ones are internal but my comments above referred to that question.

With Fusarium it also depends on which of the three serotypes of Fusarium are on the rootstock since there's no cross protection with those 3 serotypes.

Carolyn