View Single Post
Old July 10, 2013   #33
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
Tom,

I saw a picture of how granax should look and mine were small comparatively. However, I am proud I got something, the taste for me is very sweet. I normally only buy sweet vidalia/wala wala onions from the stores, so the freshness and the sweetness was very impressive. So yes, now I'm hooked on growing onions. I cannot wait to try more varieties next growing season!

I have a question about pinetree seed store.. Do they ever carry candy onion seeds since I love the sweet varieties? Also what is a red and white onion you would recommend to me besides candy onions..TIA
sounds like you did well, congrats.

many onions are sweet not just those that are short storage or are know for sweetness. for example, because copra stores so long i never ate one before all the non red varieties were eaten. last summer i had just copra and red wing so i was eating copra just a few weeks after digging them. i was very surprised at how sweet they are!

pinetree onions https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=75

i thought they sold candy because i bought it before but they don't list it. johnny's probably has candy.

i never grew any white onions.

i grow onions for storage. copra is the longest storage onion, it is yellow and stores 12-15 months. i also grow red wing and they store very well, about 11-12 months. this year i grew red bull cuz pinetree didn't have red wing and then i got red wing from park. i'm curious to see how it performs vs red wing. now i only grow just copra and red wing so having red bull will be interesting.

i grew candy but it does not store as long so it's out. i grew alisa craig exhibition and they store well for a sweet large thick necked onion but produce too many doubles and too many rot in curing or storage. i grew mars, a red onion, but they had problems being soft and rotting in the ground, in curing and storage. would not recommend them. i grew plants before i got into seeds so i remember yellow sweet spanish (very large) and red burgermiester iirc both ok but not long storage.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote