View Single Post
Old February 9, 2014   #13
Buzz
Tomatovillian™

In the early 90's I had to redo my beds due to the wood rotting out. I obtained enough of cinder block at garage sales to rebuild my 5X10 beds, 2 blocks high, and glued them together with Liquid Nails construction cement. The holes were left empty and have occasionally filled some with potting soil where I grew herbs or Strawberries very successfully. I generally cover the unused tops of the blocks with unglued caps. Since we have a gopher problem, I lined the bottoms with 1/2" hardware cloth. In this drought the deer have become a real problem. I found a roll of chicken wire on sale, made corner posts out of 1" PVC inserted into 18" 1-1/4" PVC sleeves that were driven into the corners and centers of the beds. A top rail of 1" PVC was finally made to hold up the wire since the deer had, in their desperation, learned to push down the wire. The fences are easily rotated like doors to allow clear access to the beds. The beds are still in use today, 22 years later, with no sign of movement, cracking or deterioration.
Buzz
Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote