View Single Post
Old June 12, 2020   #1
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Default radish seed - are they all created equal?

I been dabbling with radishes for probably 5 years, just planting them in small patches or interlaced with rows of other vegetables. It is nice to get something early and mark rows. I like them before they get too spicy. Seed is broadcast by hand.

Every year it seems that there will be some nice ones that I pick early at nickel or quarter size. Then later, if enough water, I'll get some nice round ones to full size 1-1/2 to 2" (champion, etc) or ones that look like they pic of that see type. But there will be little skinny ones or small rounds nearby that I hold off from pulling to let them "get bigger". This year, with more regular watering (first spring with drip tape) I am still seeing some little pencils, right next to nice round golf ball sized ones. The conditions can't vary much in two or three inches distance.

A lot of times they might get a little bigger in the next couple weeks, but also get misshapen and/or start to bolt. I leave them in there, but the return is small for the extra time taking up that spot in the garden. I'm beginning to think I should just wipe out those laggards to reclaim the space. To "cut bait" a lot earlier than I do.

This has led me to think that all radish seeds are not created equally. Since they are so quick to harvest, it makes sense to me that the seed...quality, perfectness, not sure of the right term...that the particular seed is more important than with a plant such as tomatoes that has a long way to go from seed to edible mass. Or, that tomato seeds and such are simply more uniformly perfect when formed, that tomato seeds are indeed "created equal".

I guess I could test this hypothesis by devoting a well spaced bed, absolutely equal watering, and really keeping track to see if they all hit the same size at the same time, but I hope that some long time radish growers can chime in and save me from that work. Are all radish seeds in the same pack created equal?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote