Thread: red skin
View Single Post
Old November 13, 2014   #7
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mato View Post
I grew out three different garden plots this year with about 120 tomatoes total. I had 30 plants of the (f2)between my Pimpinellifolium x Old Sea Man. That was my only garden that didn't do well. It had deer, high winds and you name it. I was looking for just the darkest black tomato out of the group. I got a very poor sampling and was lucky to pick out anything at all.
My new place has deer wandering through all the time. (The recent snow has emphasized this for me very well.) We've been talking about installing electric deer-fences so we can have a chance of getting anything at all!

Quote:
If I can get my cutting to flourish during the winter I should have plenty seed to share with you.
That would be very nice of you. I keep being surprised by the collaborations I've seen (or been involved with) that arise here on the Tomatoville forums. ;-)

Quote:
Do you think the bi - color from the Old Sea Man has something to do with it? Do you think there is any modifier genes involved?
I really like the theory that the bi-color trait of OSM is being expressed differently due to a modifier, as it appeals to my peculiar sense of algorithmic simplicity. This is such a new trait to be examined, however, so it could be an entirely disconnected trait. We have to do the cross to find out.