Thread: Morning Glories
View Single Post
Old December 3, 2023   #92
Gerris2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Wooo! What a strange and beautiful blossom form. How many different varieties do you grow on average each year? You guys will be rivaling orchid growers!

Interesting about the indoor growing, what is the average age of an indoor vine when it first opens a flower? Can you overwinter and plant them outside in the spring, or do they not like the tear down? I think of them as annuals, but can they survive for several years or longer?
My wife says I grow too many, and she's always correct in her assessments. I usually have about 40 containers on the deck. Have to grow on the deck to prevent deer foraging. Still have to contend with the squirrels digging up plants.

Regarding length of time from installed germinated seed to first flower, usually it's about a month, if you light the plants using short-day photoperiod. In the morning glory family, there are annuals and perennials. Some perennials have been quite long-lived for me. I had one that lived 14 years. I was very sad when it passed on. It was like a family member.

If you start annuals in late winter, then you can bring them outdoors and enjoy them into the summer. Some annuals, such as the extreme mutants, have short lifespans.

It's a fun group of plants. Thanks for asking good questions.

Unfortunately the photo was rotated by the system. I guess you can tilt your head
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36361796526_2decb6e0b4_o.jpg (240.4 KB, 39 views)

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Gerris2 is offline   Reply With Quote