Thread: Pickling Cukes
View Single Post
Old March 18, 2015   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Why not pickle the straight 8's and market mores?
Both can be used for pickling and slicing.

The nasty green burpless cucumbers you see in the store you cant pickle with.

Both are great cucumbers some of the best.
I wish they would accept the slicing ones for pickling, but nope they want a true pickler. The slicrs I bring them they eat in their salads.

Heck if I could even find a big bushel of them for sale, I would buy them and give it to the ladies, but that is something I haven't seen for sale around here at the markets for years and years. I have no idea why not. You don't even see many jars of homemade bread and butter pickles and those are some of the best eating I think. Yum!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
For at least the last ten years or so I've grown Snow's Fancy Pickling and it's been a cucumber machine for me. We've had cooler, wetter summers the last couple of years and I did have some mildew on them, but they still kept producing. I've made bread and butters and dills with them, as well. I don't do anything special in the garden. Just very consistent with watering and I use Garden Tone on them. Straw mulch helps keep the moisture in so they don't get bitter. Good luck!
Thanks Shelleybean. I'll see about getting me some of them and giving them a try. I'll also try your suggestion of the Garden Tone and the straw. How much of the Garden Tone do you use and how often, please.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote